…akhirnya musim semi beneran tiba…
But then I had to go to not-so-far from the coast, doing my student work, in a ship.
The ship is quite large for a ship that does chart making. It acts as a mother ship for 4 small boat that does the real measurement. It is built on 1998, and equipped with 1998 hardware and software. It amazed me how well the chart-making system still, although when I have to load 100MB data, it takes a cigarette to finish.
We were anchoring just outside Elbe river, a little north-east of Neuwerk to finish some measurement for this year tasks. The process is look like this:
- prepare tracks for each boat
- dispatch the boat and do the measurement, watch out from wrecks
- when it’s done, lift up the boat in the mothership, and plug your LAN cable (yes, there is a LAN cable from boat to ship)
- upload from boat
- do some synchronization on the office (on the mothership)
- print the tracks for every boat
- analyze the track for possible missing measurement
- get back to lunch and then watching counter strike
Yes, there is one CVS check in for Mozilla Firefox I made from the ship (thanks Thomas!), when it stranded before easter holiday. just before deadline for Firefox 3 Beta 5.